PRACTICALLY FAMILY

Monday, 24 July 2017










These people right here, these are my best friends, my family - my people.

These are those friends that I spend more time with than I do my actual family - in fact they are more family to me than they are friends. These are the best kind of people.

I had a few issues with friendships in high school - as any hormonal teenage girl does. I found myself on more than just one occasion lying in bed before I went to sleep, praying to God for a group of friends who just understood me, loved me, encouraged me and loved the Lord as much as I do. God always listened and blessed me with some amazing friendships throughout my schooling but always told me, "Just wait, those people you are praying for will come when you need them most. Trust my timing."

It wasn't until I graduated my last year of high school where I found my people - those friends I had waited patiently and had been praying for. These are those friends who are practically family.














I am so thankful for the friends whom are in these photographs, the one behind the camera and those who stayed back in Auckland while we drove a solid 10 hours the bottom of the North Island last week. (more to come on this trip, don't you worry)




I was scrolling through my pinterest feed the other day and someone had posted a question that really got me thinking, "Do you think there's a way of knowing that your living 'the good ol' days' before they're over?" My initial response was "I wish..." and then a quick repin followed by dismissal as I moved onto the rest of my feed. But I have had this thought floating through my head since I read it.

It's a funny thing isn't it? To think about how your parents always tell these crazy stories about the adventures they encountered over the years, to listen to them laughing as they relive the moments that gave them such joy while they tell us about how "Those were the good old days." and then to think about how one day that's going to be us.

When I sit back and look at my group of friends, I genuinely feel as if we have a group of people who are going to change the world. I'm so lucky to be able to say that I get to do life with these friends of mine and I am incredibly thankful for it.

As I sit here and think about all of these crazy stories I have to tell about the memories that I have made with each of them, I now realise that its happening. It's now. This right here, the days that we are living out, is the good old days. These are OUR good old days. These are the moments in our lives that nobody is going to be able to take away from us. This is the only time in our lives that we are going to have this little amount of responsibility and this amount of freedom that we do. We have very few years left in our lives where it's still acceptable for us to do some crazy things, be reckless, make spontaneous decisions. We need to make the most of it and not let the people around us take away our youth. We still have a couple more years before we really have to grow up. Lets make the most of it while we can.

 I for one am going to do just that. I am not going to be the one to say, "I wish I did this" or "They did it but I was too scared of what might happen to have a go". This is our time.

In the wise words of Jack and Jack "I know our parents say it was the good old days but things change".

Our good old days are going to be different from our parent's but doesn't make ours any less valid or exciting. Now is my time. Now is our time. Let's stop trying to be like adults and just be teenagers, I mean, these good old days aren't going to last forever and I for one can not wait to see what adventures lie ahead of them.


XO, Danielle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Danielle Joynt © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger